Friday 18 April 2014

Saint John's Bayou


I've been drawing the buildings here in New Orleans for a while now, and I'm starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere. New Orleans architecture is Old, and features a lot of patina, sagging wood, creeping vines and plain old rot. As a result, houses here tend to look like tired, twisted old creatures. What's been most interesting is finding a path away from completely naturalistic renditions towards a more abstract and decorative style, a style that brings out the character of a building.

I found a lot of help in looking at the work of Nigel Peake, an illlustrator with an architectural background. I love his focus on lines and patterns, and his beautiful colour palette.

This is the first house I've finished and am happy with. It's available in my Etsy store.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it's awesome. I can see why you're happy with it.

    ReplyDelete